Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file Which RSS feeds work?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #6029 by Andi111
Which RSS feeds work? was created by Andi111
Hi, which rss feeds are supported by the plugin?

For example, I added the following RSS feed and then the website was completely down with the following message: "0 Call to a member function getTimezone() on null".

Feed:
heise.de/thema/Kuenstliche-Intelligenz.xml
After I removed this feed, the page with the other feeds worked perfectly again.

best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #6031 by syw
Replied by syw on topic Which RSS feeds work?
Hello!

I have tested the feed, it looks like an issue with the Newsfeeds plugin. I am looking into it today.

Thanks for reporting the issue :-)

Olivier.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #6032 by syw
Ok, I have found the problem:
the Atom parser only takes into account the updated date, not the published one. I based the code of the plugin on the published date.
I will make an update to the plugin soon to rectify this.

Olivier.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #6033 by syw
Even with the correction, I am afraid the Atom parser won't work for you:
- the URL of the link entries is incorrect (the Joomla parser uses the 'id' property as the link, which is strange),
- the content parsed is coming from the 'summary' property, which does not contain the image, therefore the feed can't be shown with images, since the parser does not return any.

Note that:
If the 'id' property was not a URL, the parser would then get the proper link.
If the 'summary' property was not present, a cleaned version of the 'content' property would be selected instead.

The Atom parser is rather limited in my opinion, if the feed was formatted as RSS 2.0 instead, it probably would be parsed in a better way.

Olivier.
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by syw.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #6034 by Andi111
Replied by Andi111 on topic Which RSS feeds work?
Thank you for your quick response. Maybe Joomla is a bit limited then. Normal RSS readers load the feed normally.

But there is one more thing you could think about. Maybe you can add a routine in the plugin so that the website does not crash completely if the feed is not correct.

I'm thinking of a situation where someone changes the feed or a hacker changes data in the feed. This small action could crash any site.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #6035 by syw
All data is cleaned by the Joomla parsers so there is no chance of an 'attack'.

The problem was coming from the fact that I did not see that the Joomla Atom parser was not considering the published date if the updated date is present.

I have updated the code of the Newsfeeds plugin so it can't crash on an ignored published date.

Olivier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi111