Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file Getting Started with jQuery?

More
11 years 1 month ago #1849 by anavrin
Getting Started with jQuery? was created by anavrin
Hi,

I am not so experienced so would appreciate some guidance. So i installed the plugin in and enabled it without making any changes. i.e the Enable jQuery is set to "none." My question is... is the plugin doing anything in this situation?

Because the moment i try to enable jQuery in the parameters it breaks the site. So i would like to know if it does anything when Enable jQuery set to "none". Because right now that is the only mode t hat works for me and if its not doing anything there is no point to enable it.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1850 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Getting Started with jQuery?
Hello,
if your site is working without the plugin, just do not use it. If you are inexperienced with jQuery, avoid enabling it in the backend. If jQuery is disabled, it does nothing, except if you use advanced settings like 'remove blank lines'. If the plugin breaks your site in the frontend, there is an issue: you may have set the wrong version of jQuery (a version that does not work with the extensions you have). They are many reasons a site can break. Mostly because some extensions are not compatible with others.
What do you need jQuery Easy for? Do you have jQuery issues before hand? Do you want to reduce the library call load on your site? I can definitely take a quick look and see what may be the problem. jQuery Easy works out of the box for some people but more times than others the advanced features are necessary for a site to be fine tuned. That is probably why your site breaks when the plugin is enabled. The standard settings are not enough to fix the problems you may have.

Olivier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anavrin

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #1851 by anavrin
Replied by anavrin on topic Re: Getting Started with jQuery?
Thanks for such a helpful reply.

My site was working fine but i had one particular area "registration" that was causing some people to not be able to register - they ended up getting session timeouts. Upon research, someone said it could be a mootools jquery conflict and how jquery had to be loaded first (i believe) so i tried to fix that by using this plugin.

will be more than happy if u could take a look at it! :) oh my breaks i mean the jreviews modulles doesn't display.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by anavrin.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1852 by admin
After a first pass at the code, I see that 3 versions of jQuery are loaded on the page called from the menu item 'Write'. The template loads one version (jQuery 1.7), the community component loads one (1.6) and jReviews also (1.7). That is way too many. Your site will work at best if it goes down to one load of the jQuery library only. Check if you can disable jQuery in any of these components. jReviews loads jQuery after everything else, which is probably why it does not work correctly.
One totally different issue: the images loaded on that page take a huge amount of space (embedded in the code). You probably should consider loading those images differently, that could put browsers down to their knees. You will understand what I am talking about when you look at the source code of the page.

Olivier.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1853 by anavrin
Replied by anavrin on topic Re: Getting Started with jQuery?
Thanks man!

Community (Jomsocial) does not seem to have a way to turn off jquery, neither does my template (yootheme)

Jreviews does. I tried turning it off, and turning on Easy jQuery and setting it to 1.7 but i get the same error with the jreview modules not displaying.

Thanks so much for informing of that issue, btw which images are u refering to, is it the thumnails in the main content area? I think the latest version of jreviews corrects that!

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #1858 by admin
I was talking about the images in 'how to submit a review'.

If you are trying jQuery Easy plugin again, do not forget to turn on jQuery UI also ( v1.8 ) as it seems to be needed by jReview.

If that still does not work, you will have to ask for support to the folks that made that extension.

Olivier.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by admin.