Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file Module not displaying caption in IE8 or IE9

More
10 years 9 months ago #2423 by hoggann
Hi, Great module, thanks for the hard work.

I have a small problem in that the module is not displaying the caption in Internet Explorer 8 or 9. Is there some code that I can add to my CSS to remedy this problem?

My site is: www.glenelglibraries.vic.gov.au if you wish to see for yourself. Below are screenshots of the site in IE8 and Chrome to show the difference.

Thanks
Nick
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #2424 by admin
Hello Nick,
you put the finger on a very interesting issue.
This slider has been created to work on Responsive templates.
Which means: it uses media queries in its CSS output.
Internet Explorer 8 and 7 cannot handle media queries (they are too old). Good responsive templates usually remedy to that problem by adding a specific javascript library such as 'css3-mediaqueries.min.js', which adds media queries functionality to IE 7 and 8.
I must admit I have forgotten to add this explanation in the documentation.
So what you need to do is add the above library (you will find it easily by just using Google search) to your template (in index.php).
Now I am thinking I should propose this advanced option in the slider module itself to take care of this issue for users who do not use the slider in a responsive template.
Once the library added, you should see some differences. But in your case, you won't be done, you will need to tweak the CSS a little for IE7 and 8, as the default right now is a clear background for the caption (IE7 and 8 also do not handle opacity correctly). You will have to make the background black since you are using caption over images that have text. But I can try and help you do that once the first issue is resolved :-)

Olivier.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #2425 by hoggann
Thanks very much. I'll have a deeper look into it this afternoon.

FYI, It's not appearing on IE9 either but is on IE10.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by admin.

More
10 years 9 months ago #2426 by admin
I am surprised, it does work for me in IE9 (IE10 in IE9 mode).

Olivier.
Attachments:

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #2436 by hoggann
Thanks very much, I THINK I've got the media queries javascript up and loaded. I added some additional code to the CSS and it seems to work well on all our IE9 browsers now at least.

What's involved in the work for IE8?
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by admin.

More
10 years 9 months ago #2438 by admin
Once the media queries javascript library installed, you should not have to do anything other than adding the background color desired for the caption in the CSS file:
.caption .innercaption line 401 of style.css.php

Olivier.