Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

question-circle Alphabetized index for names with umlaut letters

More
11 years 6 months ago #1019 by ertuncb
Thanks for the great component. It works welll.
The component is worth every penny.

Bu I have one problem.
I am using the component on a website with Turkish language and want to use the "Alphabetized index" feature.
Our alphabet contains some letters (like 'Ç', 'Ü', 'Ö', 'Ş', 'İ') which are not available in the English Alphabet. There are also some letters we do not have. (like 'Q', 'W', 'X')
So I thought at the beginning it will be enough to change the code in 'function getAlphabetLinks'. But because it creates only the links, my attempt was unsuccessful.

I know, this feaute is in experimental phase. But is there a way to use umlaut letters ?
We have many person names beginning with these letters, so we can't use "Alphabetized index" feature. IT will be great to use this function in our web site.

Regards,
Bahri
(attached you can see the change and letters I have added)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #1021 by admin
Thank you Bahri.
You raised a very good point, I will try and find a solution for this situation in the next few days. If the alphabet is something you need rapidly and if your list of contacts is not too big and the situation allows for it, there is a possible workaround: create categories 'A', 'B'... for all the letters you need, order your contacts into them and use the directory feature of the component. This may be a little overkill, I am definitely looking into the problem nonetheless.

Olivier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ertuncb

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #1022 by ertuncb
Thanks you your suggestion.
The web site has now over 200 members and its growing. Besides we have other member tables to maintain like CB. This solution will not be manageable for us.

But what about adding a parameter in to the interface where we can but our alphabet ? The default string value of this parameter could be the English alphabet from A to Z without any seperator. The program can loop on this string, create a link on the bottom of the page for every letter, and search the contacts table for records beginning with this letter.
It will be also flexible, so we can limit the display to specific letters. For example when I put 'ABCD' in to this parameter, the code can only filter out the records beginning with A, B, C & D.
I know, it's a lot of hard work for you to do this. But this can be a universal solution which can be used for any alphabet, with any number of letters.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Bahri Ertunç
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by ertuncb.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #1024 by admin
I will consider this option. Thank you for the suggestion! I was thinking more about automatically generating the alphabet from the list of contacts selected, therefore showing only the necessary letters. The difficulty here is to take into account the order in which the contacts have to be shown...

Olivier.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by admin.

More
11 years 6 months ago #1027 by admin
I have implemented your solution (now the alphabet can be customized and can be extended, for instance one can enter 'A Ba Be C D').
Would you like to test this solution? It is part of a major update (Joomla! 3.X compatibility). Send me your email address at [email protected] and I will be happy to send you the file. What theme are you using?

Olivier.