Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file expired articles displayed

More
8 years 11 months ago #4204 by cbrace
expired articles displayed was created by cbrace
Hi,

I have this module configured on the home page of one of my sites to display three of the latest articles in a given category starting at 1. The articles in this category are all dedicated to events and are assigned a standard Finish Publishing date in Joomla.

For non-logged in users, it works perfectly. Articles routinely expire and are no longer displayed.

However, for logged-in users, the module insists on always displaying three articles from more than six months ago which have expired long ago.

I have gone through the module settings numerous times, and checked and rechecked the creation dates of the three articles, but no luck; I remain utterly mystified.

Do you have any idea what might be going on here? I really hope so!

Thanks in advance.
Colin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4207 by admin
Replied by admin on topic expired articles displayed
Hello Colin,

this could happen when dates are tempered with or the articles are copies of each other (with identical dates). I would suggest you edit these 3 articles and re-save them. Change the date (seconds only, that should be enough).

Note that the module filters and is set to show only published articles. You may have to check the database to see if column 'published' is set to 1 for the articles that are at fault.

Also, note that in Joomla, old/deleted articles are visible to users that are logged in and the authors of those articles.

Olivier.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4208 by cbrace
Replied by cbrace on topic expired articles displayed
Hi Olivier,

I tweaked the dates, but it had no effect.

The thing is, it doesn't bother me personally, as I know exactly what visitors to the site will see, but one of my users who logs in from time to time complains to me about it.

Well, I just checked his user group and he is an Admin, so it looks like Admins also see unpublished and/or archived articles as well. I am going to have to remove his admin rights and tweak the ACL so he is still has access to what he needs for his role.

Now at work, I'll have a look at the mysql tables later this evening.

I realise that this issue is most likely not specific to your module, so I appreciate your taking time to respond. I just wish I understand what the rationale is behind displaying unpublished/archived articles on the front end. If I ever discover why, I'll post a follow-up.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4211 by admin
Thanks Colin for your feedback!

Olivier.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4217 by cbrace
Replied by cbrace on topic expired articles displayed
OK, I am looking at the Joomla content table in phpmyadmin.

I don't see a column called "Published"; I do see Publish_Up and Publish_Down and one called State.

Are you referring to State?

More
8 years 11 months ago #4218 by admin
Sorry about the confusion.
I was looking at the code and forgot the database columns and the code were slightly different.

Make sure publish_up and publish_down dates are correct and valid dates.

Check the 'state' column as well (values are 0 = unpublished, 1 = published, 2 = archived, -2 = marked for deletion).

Olivier.